March 9, 2009

Run Adventure II

About a half hour ago, I decided to go for a run. Around 3pm it had started to rain/hail, but it seemed that the clouds had pushed aside and it would be a calm run...

I started out this time going a different route. I discover an underpass that allows pedestrians to go under one of the main roads that straddles our flat. I followed this route straight down in the direction of the river. Along the way I discovered a huge monastery/church and the meaning of steep. The road turned into a narrow pass that dipped down towards the riverside. From there I followed a variety of routes and found the river.

I headed right, instead of left like last time, and soon ran into a pretty busy section of Prague. There was a metro stop not far away so I cruised towards it and discovered that it was Karlovo Namesti. This is the tram stop that we take to transfer from the trams that go home and the trams that go to CET. Its three stops from the closest tram home. I was surprised that I had make it that far out, distances in Prague can be deceiving though so I'm not really sure how far it was in miles. From here I discovered a cool monument, did a lap around an old church, and drifted down a windy side street. I soon found my way back to where I needed to be.

After huffing up the steepest hill on the face of the planet it immediately started to pelt a wintery mix in my face. For us native Duanesburgers, wintery mix is an ominous term for a-whole-bunch-of-shit-you-don't-want-to-drive-in. Sucking wind and ice, I finished by racing a couple of children underneath the underpass.

Overall, despite the freezing tempterature and the hardly foot/ankle friendly cobblestones, running v Praze is worthwhile. I discover something new each time, and hopefully I'll be able to piece everything together and have a good sense of the area I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment