March 4, 2009

Terezin.

I haven't written in a while, but here's an update. Last Sunday we went to a concentration camp.

I'm not going to give you a tour of the camp or talk about what we saw or what we did. That's really something that needs to be experienced firsthand.

Briefly, I would like to talk about my reactions.

Its hard to come up with adjectives that fit properly, but it was an interesting? experience. I'm just glad that I went to Dresden first because I can't imagine seeing a Neo-Nazi rally after visiting the place where 30,000 people died.

One of the people on our tour put it best. She described the experience as one that affects the 5 senses. While in the Small Fortress (for political prisoners) we went into the hospital room. You could almost smell the sickness still in that room.

Terezin was for sure an experience I won't forget.

Its hard to say whether or not it was what I expected. I would say no. The Small Fortress looked like what you would imagine a concentration camp to be, but the ghetto section was not. Terezin was the camp that the Nazis used to allay the fears of the Red Cross of mistreatment. It was a "ghetto," aka concentration camp under the guise of a ghetto.

It was an interesting? worthwhile? experience.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the pix with the narrative. Never could have imagined. First hand experience must have been a wicked experience. Yes, how can there be idiots like the ones who were in Dresden. Humanity is twisted.

    ReplyDelete