April 1, 2009

Springtime in Prague?

Yesterday it was in the 50s!

Later this week we might hit 66!

Prague is starting to transform. The people, not so much. I almost got hit by a car two days ago... Terrible drivers even in the nice weather...

The good weather has perfect timing. Friday we have a make-up class for Art History and we are doing an extensive tour of a section of the city called Vysehrad. I think thats how its spelled... Its like a fortress/cemetery/cubist buildings. I'm pretty excited because its close to our flat, but we've never ventured in that direction before.

Sunday Obama will be speaking at the Prague Castle. The public is allowed to attend, so I think the majority of us are going to go. That would be three presidents in one week for me. I'll be posting about the other two in a different post.

Apart from the five finals, three 10 page papers, and bunch of readings left, the semester is nearly over. I am looking forward to being in the States, but while I'm here I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can.

Now that the weather is looking up there are thousands of tourists in Prague. Its disgusting. I don't really have to venture into those sections of town, unless its by choice. Despite the fact that we've spent nearly 3 months here, to the Praguers we are still just American tourists. Slightly disheartening.

The last weekend of April is a free weekend. I know people who are traveling every single weekend in April. I don't know why, Prague is great. I think I might go on a day trip or two, and maybe on the free weekend take a train trip to Krakow or somewhere not terribly far. Paris is great an all, but I'm not really looking for that experience. Although I would love to go to the Louvre. I have the rest of my life to go to Paris, but chances are I'm never going to be traveling in the Czech Republic again (although it is pretty sweet and I'd like to come back one day).

I also have tons of visitors coming Easter Weekend. April 9-12 I think. Then I think I have friends coming April 22/23ish. We'll see if that works out.

The two places I'm thinking for day trips are Oloumost (most definitely spelled wrong). Its where three of the Czech buddies go to University. Its supposed to be really nice, and its really rich in history. Another group make a weekend trip earlier in the semester.

The other place I want to go is Karlsbad. There is a castle there that Charles IV specifcally set aside for his collection of religious garbage. Most of it is still there. There is a room that is covered in jewels, gold, and these awesome paintings of saints. Its supposed to be a great place to visit in nice weather, and its only about 45 minutes away by bus or train.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are making great plans. Enjoy all you do. That warm 50 degrees might ruin Phoenix for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I agree with the anonymous poster. Have fun and then some. Sounds like soon you can pack the parka and the ear muffs. At least we now understand why people in those countries are always so cranky....

    ReplyDelete