February 11, 2009

Karma can be violent.

Last night Annika, Kendra, and I were just hanging out. We decided to lighten the mood with a few choice beverages. Visible from the entrance to our apartment is a Portraviny (I believe its spelled right), which is like a small store that sells bare necessities and beer and wine and liquor (which I suppose is a necessity for a Czech!). Imagine a Stewarts, but without the terrific ice cream, delicious bacon cheeseburgers, and no skeezy girl that graduated two years before me.

Most of these Portravinies are run by the local Vietmenese minority. I going to pretend like I know that this is a fact when really I have no idea, but the Vietmenese in Prague are the largest minority present.

Its funny because sometimes you go into these shops and you try and speak Czenglish (a few Czech words, a few English words) and they still don't understand you. Pointing gets it done most of the time.

Back to the story, so basically we get our beverages and check out. He charges us 30kr per bottle of milk, which is absolutely outrageous. They should have been probably half that. Still unsure in the city though, we take it. You live and learn. For example, never going back there again...

Anyways, so we are walking back to our apartment. We have to cross this four lane road, super busy. So as we are crossing the street I see in my periphs, movement. Then comes a huge crashing noise. The sign next to the Portaviny comes crashing down and explodes on the ground. By explodes I mean to say that glass and plastic shatter into pieces. No pyrotechnics (unfortunately).

We had been standing there perhaps 30 seconds before.

We all took is as a sign of god telling us that we shouldn't go back to that place again. I hope the ripperoffer took is as a sign that we can move objects with our minds. One can only hope...

4 comments:

  1. again..best blogger ever.

    also, roma people are one of the largest, i would say the largest minority...

    ReplyDelete
  2. listen buddy... if you want the truth go to wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn karma really does exist.
    -brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. this immediately reminded me of dodgeball "Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a 'Sorry your dodgeball coach got killed by two tons of irony' card."

    ReplyDelete