February 21, 2009

Znouzectnost!

This goes back a couple days so bear with my poor memory...

Wednesday night Petr took us to see his favorite band. It was a Czech punk rock band that has been around since the early 1980s. Our entire flat, Jelena (another girl from the program), and Petr's friend Hanka all went to the show. It was held at a Rock Cafe literally right next to the aforementioned Cafe Louvre.

It was a really cool venue. It was downstairs, a bar at one end, the stage at the other. Probably about 100 feet long. I made that number up, I have no idea how big the room was. Imagine Norther Lights or the Black Cat or I don't know. But it was cool.

The show started at 8:30. We got there pretty much right on time. There wasn't very many people to start with, so I didn't even realize that it was the band we came to see. Eventually the crowd started to get bigger though. Some people in the front started to get really into it, dancing, jumping, screaming. We managed to get right to the front where there was a sort of barrier separating us from the crazies.

There was this one kid with long hair who was just whipping his elbows in all directions. The word kid is relative I suppose, he was probably much older than me. Many people in the crowd were older folks.

Eventually the songs picked up and Meghan dragged me into the mosh pit. I had never been to a punk rock show, or in a mosh pit, but you find out quickly what to do. This was by far the least violent mosh pit on the face of the earth though. I'm not even just saying this for the parents that read this blog. People were just jumping, sometimes into each other. But there was no moron who was going around throwing bows and kicking people. Everyone was just having a really good time.

Towards the end of the show, the pit got enormous. There was one song where I remember lifting off the ground for about 1 full second. I've never had a full concert experience like what I experienced here. I've gone to plenty of shows and have had a great time, but this show was different. The music was eh, not bad, but the crowd was great. Most of the time its the opposite for the shows I go to.

1 comment: